Friday, July 24, 2009

A shout-out to those living and those past


First on this Pioneer Day I would like to give a shout-out to those pioneers who so courageously left their homes and families to come to a deserted land to build up new homes and families, so that they and we could have a beautiful place to live. I often think of the pioneers (and not just during July), but when I'm complaining that I have to walk an extra few feet because somebody else got the spot closest to the store. Oh, how much further they had to walk! I think about the pioneers when I'm freezing as I run from my house to the car in the middle of winter. Oh, how much colder they were as they traveled without a car! And I think of the pioneers as I eat my food and wonder at how they must marvel at how much food we have. And I really admire their testimonies of the gospel. They gave up so much in order to live in a place where they could worship the Lord the way they wanted to. Would I be able to do that? Would I be able to leave everything? Is my testimony strong enough to do that? I marvel at those who were strong enough!

I also have to give a shout-out to my step-dad, who is only a step-dad in the sense that he married my mom after my dad and mom divorced. I consider him to be my 2nd dad. This week marked his 20 year anniversary for sobriety. It was his pleasure for many years and yet he could see the damage it was doing and he quit 20 years ago and hasn't turned back! Is that just cool or what?! Congratulations dad! We are so proud of you! This picture is of dad with his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment