Friday, December 18, 2009

This crazy world

I went to a hockey game tonight with Ray-Ray because the schools around the valley were asked to sing during halftime. I wasn't thrilled about going because I knew I'd have to deal with traffic and parking, but other than that I was excited to spend some one-on-one time with my daughter. However, the evening was ruined for me within the first 10 minutes of the game, when 2 of the players got into a fist fight. I realize that hockey is a pretty combative sport, but these are grown men - shouldn't they have enough self-respect to not do things like that! As soon as I realized what was happening, I covered Ray-Ray's eyes (and my own) and waited for them to stop fighting. The thing that made me frustrated was that the ref's just let them duke it out until a player ended up on the ground. I only know that because the person right next to me said she was sad it wasn't the other player who ended up on the ground. Anyways, it literally made me sick to my stomach! And I mean literally! It made me question this world that we live in and my ability to protect my children. It made me want to hug my children and to keep them in the house at all times. It made me wish for the Savior to come, so that we wouldn't have to experience anymore evil. Why would the hockey people encourage families to come if they are going to actually fight right in front of them. I was shocked that so many parents just let their children watch without trying to shield them. It just made me cry (inside and a little bit on the outside). I was so glad that Ray-Ray's school sang after the first quarter and then she wanted to go home. I didn't object a bit, even though I did pay for a full-price ticket. I was so glad to leave and now I just want to tuck my children into bed. I wish I could always protect them.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about protecting your kids. I wonder how possible that is in this world these days. We have been to a couple of hockey games, once when I was expecting Neila and once last year when Garet sang there (both times free) and we didn't stay long for either of them. By the way your family is looking so beautiful, they are changing so much.

    rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rainbow, Thanks for the nice compliments! It is good to hear from you. It was very discouraging going to a family outing where they encourage violence. Not my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete