(Here are our "suitcases" for trek. 1 outfit, pj's, and toiletries)
3 days after our San Francisco trip, we headed off to Manti, UT for the ward pioneer trek. This trek is similar to what a lot of youth groups do when they go to Wyoming and follow the path that the pioneers took, only our ward decided to include young and old, families or singles. We were nervous to take our children and thought for sure we would hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth as we required them to walk and walk and walk. However, much to my GREAT surprise there was not much from them (and, in fact, a lot of the moaning and groaning came from my mouth!) I was SO proud of Snorr, as he pulled the handcart the entire 3 days! The Mulk pulled the whole time, too, and I was just in awe (really, really awed) that they could pull so much without being in terrible pain.
It was really hard and gave me an appreciation for the pioneers. I know what we did was still so much easier than what they did (we had medical personnel, if needed, and plenty of water and food), but I still gained appreciation for them. Pulling a hand cart is HARD! The first day was all uphill and as much as I told myself I would help however they needed me to, I ended up just walking next to the handcart most of the time. It was embarrassing to not have enough strength to help out as much as I wanted, but I just had to realize that I don't have that kind of muscle power. I did try to push when I could and I was quite good at being the "brakes" on the downhill side.
Ray-Ray was good at both pushing and pulling and tried her best to keep her spirits up (and tried to help lift other's spirits, too). She is a sweet girl! And Kitty had a blast riding in the handcart with about 5 other little kids the whole time. I had to chuckle a bit after the first day when Kitty started to cry because she was just so tired of all this "stupid walking!" She hardly walked at all - silly girl! But I think she was just plain tired of the dirt and sun. The next 2 days went better, as they had more games along the way.
(Everyone is ready for the trip!)
(The little one's were tuckered out before too long)
(Ray-Ray included)
(After seeing the strength and endurance Snorr had in pulling the cart, I expect more out of him now! lol)
(Kitty with her friend - It was so cute seeing all these little kids run around in their bonnets and "newsies" hats.)
It was really beautiful)
(My mouth may have been smiling this first day, but I'm pretty sure my eyes were teary. Each day got better, though.)
The 2nd day we only walked for about 6 hours and then we got to play games. Ray-Ray is sawing a log. It's trickier than it looks)
(Kitty is walking on boards and holding on to the tops of heads. It was a nerve-wracking game for me to watch and there were even a few kids who fell down. Fortunately the kids seem to bounce and nobody was seriously hurt.)
(My 2 handsome boys. Isn't this just a neat photo! I love my boys!)
(And, of course, there has to be square-dancing on a pioneer trek. This is proof that my son can dance - and have fun doing it, too!)
(Kitty playing leapfrog over the streams)
(Our final day - daddy and his daughters. Precious!)
(Kitty and her friends get to be the "brake" for a time)
(Ray-Ray and her friend finding shade - the goal of everyone!)
It was a wonderful, difficult, and rewarding trip! And I hope it is a long time before we have to do it again! LOL!
Utah Pin Quest Part 4
11 months ago
I am so glad you got to do this as a family. What a great memory!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're more courageous than me, Michelle!
ReplyDelete